Students with documented disabilities may request academic accommodations through the Disability Support Services (DSS) office. These services comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), ADA Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA), and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, which mandate program accessibility for students with disabilities in postsecondary institutions that receive federal funds. The College is obligated to provide reasonable accommodations, auxiliary aids, and services to qualified students with disabilities in order to ensure their effective participation in all college programs and services. Students do not have to disclose a disability to the College if they are not requesting services.

Students who choose to self-identify, however, must provide current documentation of their disability to support reasonable accommodations. They must also register, pay for courses, and submit a paid tuition bill to DSS one month before the beginning of classes in order to avoid delays in service.

All students should follow and complete all the Admissions & Registration Enrollment Steps located here, then begin the application process for DSS services.

  • Once you've registered, forward a copy of your paid tuition bill to Disability Support Services at at least one month prior to the beginning of classes to avoid delays in services. 
  • New students are encouraged to request accommodations by logging into Accommodate (Click Here) and uploading documentation. For general questions or concerns about disability support services send an email to or contact Lynne S. Dean-Colfack at 301-546-0838 or
  • Returning DSS students can request accommodations by logging into Accommodate (Click Here) and completing the steps. For other questions or disability-related advising, they can email: Adrienne Moore: or Thomas Mays:  

You can also request academic accommodations by clicking here, clicking Student, and following the steps.

Acceptable Forms of Documentation
  • Psychological report (full write-up) with recommendations
  • Woodcock-Johnson Battery-Revised (full report preferred)
  • Neuropsychological evaluation
  • Psychological report (full write-up)
  • Letter from a doctor (with diagnosis, functional limitations, and educational limitations)

Read the full Documentation Guidelines here.

Note: Academic accommodations are designed to provide each student with equal access in the classroom and do not change the academic standards, requirements, and code of conduct required of all students. Academic accommodations are not retroactive and will begin once a student has completed the intake process and eligibility for services has been determined.


What You Need to Know About High School and College Support

For students who are recent high school graduates, there are some important differences between high school and college in the provision of support services and accommodations.

  • Students will be moving from entitlement to services (mandatory accommodations) to eligibility for services (having to request accommodations). This means that it is likely that students will not receive all of the accommodations they enjoyed in high school. However, they will have many support services available to them on campus such as tutoring, academic advising, and mentoring. Students will also be expected to read and write at high levels, increase their independence, ask for support (self-advocacy skills), and seek out resources. Resources available at Prince George's Community College include the library (Accokeek Hall); the tutoring, writing, and grammar center (Lanham Hall, Room 114A); the math assistance lab (Bladen Hall, Room 108); and various computer labs throughout campus.
  • Students will be viewed as adults responsible for decisions regarding their academic program and use of services. Students will be responsible for notifying the Disability Support Services office (Lanham Hall, Room 101A) as to the nature of their disability and work with DSS staff to identify appropriate accommodations. Students may call the DSS office to set up an initial interview appointment with the DSS program director or counselor after they have registered and paid for classes. Additionally, they have a right to a private and confidential meeting without the presence of a parent or guardian.
  • Students are responsible for providing all documentation supporting their disability, particularly in cases where the disability is not obvious. The college does not offer a psychoeducational assessment to establish the existence of a learning disability. It is very important that students keep copies of any psychoeducational testing results done in high school.
  • Students who are requesting a sign language interpreter or note-taker services must contact DSS one month before classes start. The student must have already registered and paid for classes at the time they make the request. Note: Services will not be scheduled until courses have been paid in full and verified by a show of a paid tuition bill. Failure to follow the above process could delay the provision of a requested accommodation.
  • Because federal law requires confidentiality of student records, DSS staff cannot release to parents information regarding a student's grades, attendance, use of support services, etc., unless the student has given the college written permission to do so.
  • DSS does not provide personal care attendants to students for liability reasons. Personal needs that necessitate an attendant are the responsibility of the student.
  • Academic accommodations are not retroactive and will begin once a student has completed the intake process and eligibility for services has been determined. 
  • Note: Students may experience a delay in receiving auxiliary services (i.e., interpreting, note taking, recorded textbooks, etc.) for both credit courses and classes if they register late and do not provide adequate documentation to support reasonable accommodations. 
Services Provided in DSS

Accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis after consultation with the DSS program director or rehabilitation counselor specialist. Possible services may include:

  • Academic, personal, transfer, and career counseling to students;
  • Sign language interpreters (staff and contract interpreting agencies);
  • Note-taking services;
  • Wheelchair accessible desks/tables;
  • Extended test time and alternate testing locations (quiet environment);
  • Permission to tape record class lectures;
  • Recorded textbooks, as needed;
  • Support services to students with visual, physical, sensory, and psychological disabilities;
  • Referrals to community agencies; and
  • Use of adaptive technology.

Download the Disability Support Services Procedures form.


Contact Us

Disability Support Services Office

Lanham Hall, Room 101A
Phone: 301-546-0838

Office Hours:
Monday–Friday: 8:30 a.m.–4:30 p.m.